Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The County Fair







The County Fair. What a joy :) Our family (minus all who have a teen in there age) went to the Fair this last weekend. We went on Saturday. I figured with it being the first day, and the weather being beautiful it would be packed. To my amazement, it wasn't. This is a tradition the kids look forward to every year, and Andrew and I count down the days (hint...a bit of sarcasm).
I know, you are all saying to yourselves......."What about the fair could they not just love?" Well, let's just start with.......in the fourteen years we have lived in southeast Idaho, the fair has never changed. I could tell you exactly every attraction that will be there, even the booths in the exhibitors barn. The same food booths, the same rides, probably even the same Carnies....I'm not sure about that, only because they scare me and I can't look at them for more than just a fraction of a second. I think the hardest thing about raising a large family is, doing the same things year after year (tradition) and trying to be as excited the fourteenth time as you were the first time. Not sure I do a good job of it, however, I am still doing those same things, so give me a few kudos for that.
The thing that amazes me the most about the State Fair is, the people that it attracts.....I know, I am one of those people. I look at them and wonder where they hide the other 364 days of the year? There are not enough trailer parks in all of Idaho to house all of these people. I think if they set up a dental booth, to replace all of the missing teeth these people have, someone would make a killing. (I know I am being really "Harbor" right now)
I don't think a year has gone by where I haven't walked away from this place feeling rather sick to my stomach. I'm not sure if it's the "amazing" Cuisine, or the pleasant "aromatic" smells from the barn.
Every year we have to spend an unfathomable amount on tickets for rides. I know you say to yourself, "buy the bracelets", but, even for just the three boys it would have cost $90 for bracelets. NOT going there. So instead we spend $50 and get 6 or 7 rides each. I know doesn't make sense. My logic for not buying the bracelets is......If we buy the bracelets we have to be there until they are sick of riding the rides. If we buy the tickets, once they are gone, we go home.
So once again we survived the Idaho State Fair and we start the countdown just waiting for the next one.....361, 360, 359..... I can't wait.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that we have been every year we've lived here - and I have never spent one penny on any of the rides. I know - I am a mean mom. We mostly just like to look at all of the displays and get the freebies and eat yummy-bad-for-you food! Good times. I liked your comment about the people. I LOVE to just "people watch"!

Megan said...

I am laughing so hard right now that I almost peed my pants. You voiced my EXACT feelings of the fair. Paul and I were just talking yesterday about this really gross couple standing in line in front of us for one of the kiddie rights who would NOT quit kissing. It was so gross! Guess there's someone for everyone! Unlike you, I was stupid enough to buy the wristbands and we ended up staying until 10:30 just to "get our money's worth!"

About Me

My photo
I am a stay at home mom of 6 kids. My oldest has just left for college and my youngest started kindergarten this year. Life couldn't be sweeter. My husband and I have been married for 20 years...wow did I really say that...ok I'm old.